Healthy Hokies: 5 Suprising Health Benefits of Yoga
Ahhh June, what an exciting month. Especially in our favorite town, Blacksburg! Blacksburg in June is such a beautiful place. Walkways are filled with maroon and orange flowers in full bloom. Older and younger folks alike search the town high and low to find the Hokie Bird flock. The warm weather seems to put a smile on everyone’s face.
There are other reasons to love June: National holidays such as the beginning of summer and Father’s Day, to name a few. However, for all the yoga fanatics, June holds a very special day in store…International Day of Yoga, June 21!
There are many reasons to love yoga, so why not come together and celebrate it on this exciting day! Aside from the more obvious benefits of yoga such as; improving flexibility and reducing stress, there are many that you may not know about. Here are the top five benefits to yoga that you probably haven’t heard of.
- Did you know that although yoga is a lower intensity exercise it has been linked to weight loss? Here’s how: Those who practice yoga regularly have been shown to be more mindful and aware of their bodies and what they are putting into it. This leads them to be more conscious of the food that they are consuming, making them more likely to choose healthier options that aid in weight loss.
- Yoga aids in preventing and lowering stress. Stress has been linked to binge eating; lower stress levels mean that you’re less likely to binge on unhealthy foods.
- Yoga can also help to detox your body. Performing yoga stimulates the lymphatic system and aids in removing toxins from your body. Just be sure to stay hydrated both before and after yoga to ensure maximum detoxification.
- Did you know that yoga may be able to aid in lowering back pain? Yoga not only helps with flexibility, but it also increases muscle strength while doing it in a way that doesn’t strain your muscles. Decreasing your muscle weakness takes pressure off your lower back. Yoga has been linked to lower joint pain as well.
- Yoga has also been shown to lower the risk of heart disease. Yoga participants have lower BMIs and overall stress levels. This puts less pressure on the heart.
Whether you’ve never tried yoga before, or you’re an advanced yogi, the benefits of regular yoga can help improve your life. National Day of Yoga is the perfect day to begin. While you’re searching for the rest of the Hokie Bird flock, be sure to check out Blacksburg’s local yoga studios, “Akke’s Yoga Place,” “In Balance Yoga,” or “The Breathing Space,” to get started with your yoga journey. If yoga isn’t your thing, maybe beer is! Lookout for the “Yoga on Tap” events at the Rising Silo Brewery.
Thanks for stopping by the blog. Namaste Hokie Lovers.
P.S. Be sure to stop by our online shop and check out our Hokie memorabilia and collection of handcrafted Hokie Birds!