How to Have a COVID Safe Thanksgiving
Hi Hokies, Dottie here.
Thanksgiving is just one short week away! As expected, the holidays are going to look a little differently this year due to the pandemic. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention posted a few ways to stay safe while enjoying yourself this Thanksgiving. By following these recommendations, you can be on your way to a joyful and safe night with your loved ones.
For those attending a gathering
- Bring your own food, drinks, plates, cups, and utensils.
- Wear a mask, and safely store your mask while eating and drinking.
- Avoid going in and out of the areas where food is being prepared or handled, such as in the kitchen.
- Use single-use options, like salad dressing and condiment packets, and disposable items, like food containers, plates, and utensils.
For those hosting a gathering
- Have a small outdoor meal with family and friends who live in your community.
- Limit the number of guests.
- Have conversations with guests ahead of time to set expectations for celebrating together.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and items between use.
- If celebrating indoors, make sure to open windows.
- Limit the number of people in food preparation areas.
- Have guests bring their own food and drink.
- If sharing food, have one person serve food and use single-use options, like plastic utensils.